Friday, August 31, 2018
Monday, August 20, 2018
Following is a brief introduction to the Book of James. Hope to see you this Sunday!
"I thank my God every time I remember you." Philippians 1:3
Introduction to “The Book of James”
Putting Christian Faith to Work in Every Day Life
Dr. Joe Alain
“James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations: Greetings.” James 1:1
AUTHOR – 1:1a
1. James, the Brother of Jesus
* A half-brother of Jesus (Matt. 13:55; Mk. 6:3).
* Early on, an unbeliever (Mk. 3:21; Jn. 7:5).
* A believer after the resurrection (1 Cor. 15:7; Acts 1:13-14).
* A leader in the church at Jerusalem (Acts 15:13-ff.).
2. James the Servant of Jesus
* “Doulos,” literally “slave.” No family privileges.
* Affirmation of the deity of Christ. James, a Jewish Christian makes a profound affirmation that Jesus of Nazareth is the Messiah, “the Lord Jesus Christ.
ADDRESS – 1:1b
God’s “Scattered” People
* The diaspora began in (north) 722 B.C. (south) 586 B.C.
* 4 million Jews were scattered in the Roman world. Jewish Christians were driven out of Jerusalem after Stephen’s death.
* All believers in Jesus are pilgrims, “God’s scattered people.”
APPEAL – Faith Works!
Not advocating a salvation through works, but genuine faith results in works (Eph. 2:8-10). James confronts believers with the responsibilities of the Christian life. He defines the Christian life in terms of the moral and ethical behavior of those who profess faith in Jesus Christ.
* 23 quotations from the Sermon on the Mount.
* Filled with exhortations and imperatives, 60 in 108 verses.
* God’s concern for the poor. * Faith in Action
* Importance of prayer * Godly wisdom
Wednesday, August 15, 2018
A Night in Bethlehem (Overview)
This Sunday, August 19, 2018 right after CBC's morning worship in the Life Center, I will provide a brief overview of our December event, "A Night in Bethlehem." Following is some of the information that I will review this Sunday but as you can see there will be a place for everyone to serve at some level. I am very excited and looking forward to presenting Christ to our community through this "walk through" dramatic experience.
What Will Be Needed? How Can You Be Involved?
· Cast of Characters/Acting.
· Set Design and Construction.
· Costumes Design and Construction.
· Choir Participants All Ages.
· Sound and Lighting.
· Welcome Center (Hosts, Greeting, Refreshments).
· Children and Family Ministry in Welcome Center area.
· Parking Attendants.
· Site Layout Prior to Event.
· Food Service (For Participants and Guests).
· Take Down and Clean-Up Nightly and Conclusion of Event.
· Promotion (Advertising, Banners, Brochures).
· Plants and Decorations.
Friday, August 10, 2018
Thursday, March 8, 2018
Summer 2018 Mission Trip to Alabama
For Students and Adults
Where? Southeast Alabama (Geneva County, near Dothan)
When? Leave out Saturday morning, July 7th and return on Friday, July 13th. Transportation will be determined once we have a firm number on who will be going.
Where Will We Stay?
Geneva Baptist Association Building (376 miles from CBC)
701 Dothan Hwy
Hartford, AL 36344
What Will You Need? Bring sleeping bag, bedding, and towel(s). The association building has a nice kitchen that we can use. We will most likely bring some of our food items and the rest we can purchase when we arrive.
What Will We Be Doing?
· Primary: Leading Vacation Bible Schools. We most likely will lead a morning and an evening Bible School during the week. We will need worship leaders, perhaps drama or puppets, teachers for various age groups, Bible story leaders, people to help with crafts and recreation, and general set-up and help. We will bring all of our VBS supplies with us. And there will be several training sessions to familiarize ourselves with the materials and our plans prior to our trip.
· Other Possibilities: Music in Worship, General Serving Ministries, Clown Ministry, Nursing Home Ministry, Light Construction and/or Repair, Yard Work, etc.
· $50.00 deposit due by Sunday, April 15th
· Balance to be determined by number of people going and will be due Sunday, July 1st
· Could be 6-8 meals on your own over the course of the week. Approximately $10/meal.
· Overall Estimate all-inclusive: $150.00-175.00.
Friday, March 2, 2018
“Growing in Christ” Church-Wide Emphasis
To “assure” is to “put beyond all doubt.” “Growing in Christ,” lessons on assurance and Christian living is a study designed to help you put beyond all doubt some basic promises that the Lord has made to all Christians. You become convinced of the reality of these promises in your life as you study, memorize and apply Scripture in your everyday life.
I hope you will plan to join us each week of this Sunday morning Church-wide emphasis. All of our Sunday morning small groups will be studying the same theme each week which will also be reinforced in our Sunday morning worship services. If you do not currently attend a Sunday morning Bible study, now would be a great time to get connected. Copies of the book, “Growing in Christ” and a list of small groups may be picked up at the Connection Center.
Here’s the Sunday morning schedule of Bible studies and messages for the month of March:
4 Assurance of Salvation, 1 John 5:11-12
11 Assurance of Answered Prayer, John 16:24
18 Assurance of Victory, 1 Corinthians 10:13
25 Assurance of Forgiveness, 1 John 1:9