Thursday, October 13, 2016

Hope in the Hard Place of Depression (Psalm 42, 43)




Hope in the Hard Place of Depression”

Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Savior and my God.” Psalm 42:5, NIV

Scripture Reading: Psalm 42:1-11; 43:1-5
The dark night of the soul is the title of a poem written by the 16th century poet and Roman Catholic mystic, Saint John of the Cross. It is used as a metaphor today to describe a phase in a person’s spiritual life marked by a sense of loneliness and desolation. This is how many refer to times of depression among God’s people.

Hope is the belief that regardless of your circumstances, God is going to come through. When you’re depressed you lose the sense that God is near and that things are going to turn around. You feel spiritually dry, there is the absence of joy, and a feeling that God has forsaken you. It truly is a “dark night” for your soul.

The author of Psalm 42 and 43 is going through one of those “dark night of the soul” experiences. This Sunday, October 16th during our morning worship service, we will use the framework of the Psalmists spiritual struggle to identify those characteristics of the dark night of the soul (what all believers experience at times), and second, we will look at how God renews our hope, how we move from the dark night of the soul to the light of day.

I hope that you will join us for worship at Carrollwood Baptist Church where all are welcome! Worship begins at 10:30 a.m. Bible study for all ages begins at 9:15 a.m. I look forward to seeing you this Sunday as we gather to exalt our wonderful God and Savior!

 
Pastor Joe

I thank my God every time I remember you.” Philippians 1:3

 

No comments: